January 30, 2019
Dear Members and Family Advocates,
As we start 2019 in our 7th month of operation at Care Design NY, I’d like to highlight our efforts to date and what you should expect from us in this new year.
Our First Seven Months
- The transition from Medicaid Service Coordination (MSC) to Care Management went about as smoothly as one could expect with a service change; new organizations providing the service; staff needing to learn new systems, etc. There have been bumps in the road, but we have worked hard to minimize them.
- We were very successful in our goal to maintain existing relationships between individuals and family advocates and their care managers wherever possible.
- We demonstrated to our workforce, especially our Care Managers, that they are our greatest asset and that we are here to support and invest in them in every way possible. Our total compensation and time-off package is very competitive. Our training and communication efforts have been frequent and robust. I believe that, if our workforce feels appreciated and supported, they will work very hard to deliver on our mission to assist individuals with intellectual and/or developmental disabilities to get supports and services to live a quality life.
- We began developing our own culture at Care Design NY -- one of openness, transparency, responsiveness, and professionalism.
Our Focus for 2019
- Support our workforce who support our members and their families.
- Complete the transition to Life Plans for all members.
- Work closely with our regional Advisory Boards, made up of individuals and family advocates, to identify and solve problems and to make Care Design NY a better organization.
- Continue to foster communication with our members and family advocates by holding information sessions this winter and again in the fall.
- Begin to hire self-advocates and family advocates as ombudsman within Care Design NY to support other self-advocates and family advocates, as well as to work with our other staff on various initiatives.
- Begin to identify, and problem-solve, service gaps for our members with service providers and fiscal intermediaries.
It’s going to be a busy year, and we look forward to continuing to work with individuals and families to get the supports and services they need to live a quality life.
Our door is always open; feel free to reach out at any time.
Wishing you a happy and healthy 2019,